Adib's parents: Our prayers for justice answered

27 Sep 2019, 7:59 am

Updated a year ago


The parents of firefighter Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim said their prayers for justice to be served has been answered with the Coroner's Court verdict today that their son's death was the result of a criminal act.

Harian Metro quoted Adib's mother, Asma Aziz, 52, as saying that she now hoped to see the perpetrators being charged in court.

"I can't describe how I feel...I'm relieved but Adib is gone. I hope that after this, the perpetrators who assaulted Adib will be arrested," she said at their family home in Kampung Tebengau, Kuala Kedah, today.

Based on the testimonies of 30 witnesses during the 41-day inquest, Coroner Rofiah Mohamad ruled that the firefighter had been assaulted by two or three unidentified assailants.

In delivering her judgement, Rofiah said the court concluded that the blunt chest trauma sustained by Adib during the incident was not self-inflicted or accident, but was caused by two to three unidentified persons who pulled the victim out of the fire department EMRS van, hitting him and dragging him.

Besides these, Rofiah also said the court accepted National Heart Institute (IJN) medical assistant Ashraf Baruji's testimony that Adib had told him that he was assaulted.

Asma further said she had a restless night in anticipation of today's verdict, and had at the last moment, together with her husband Mohd Kassim Abdul Hamid (photo), 64, decided against being present at the Shah Alam High Court.

"But this evening we will be going to Kuala Lumpur to be with our children there," added the mother of four.

Meanwhile, Harian Metro quoted Mohd Kassim as expressing gratitude over the decision.

"Alhamdulillah, I am happy with the verdict, now everything has been answered," he said.

Adib's older brother Muhammad Asyraf, who was present in the courtroom, earlier told reporters the family is satisfied with the inquest's verdict.

"For now, we will not be pursuing any civil suits. Even if we did, who do we sue?" he said.

He was accompanied by Adib's fiancee Nurul Najihah Mohd Radzi.

"Alhamdulillah…I am very grateful for this decision," said Nurul Najihah as quoted by Harian Metro.

She was reported to be in tears following the verdict and unable to take further questions from the media.


Related Reports