PKR president Anwar Ibrahim will not be pursuing a defamation lawsuit against his former research assistant Muhammad Yusoff Rawther.
A source close to Anwar (above) said this comes with the Attorney-General's Chambers clearing him of any charge over Yusoff's claims that he was sexually assaulted by the Port Dickson MP.
"He doesn't want a reward or money from the lawsuit, just to clear his name," the source told Malaysiakini.
Yesterday, Anwar's lawyer Ramkarpal Singh said he had advised Anwar to drop the suit as it was no longer necessary to pursue it.
However, Anwar's political secretary Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak has filed a separate defamation suit against Yusoff over remarks the latter made at a press conference on Dec 4.
During the press conference, Yusoff, 26, not only claimed that he was a victim of indecent exposure, molest and a lewd proposal by Anwar, 72, but also that the police purportedly did not take action over his (Yusoff's) police report accusing Farhash of assaulting him at Anwar’s office in Petaling Jaya in May last year.