NEWS

Streram vows not to contest in Rantau if not selected by Harapan

Bernama

21 Feb 2019, 10:30 am

Updated a year ago

A
+
A
-

Pakatan Harapan's GE14 candidate for Rantau, Dr S Streram, said he would abide by the decision of the party leadership, and would not contest as an independent if not selected as a candidate for the state seat's by-election.

The Rembau PKR deputy chairman however, insisted that even if not selected, he would go down to the ground to assist the election machinery and ensure victory for Harapan.

“The decision is in the hands of PKR president Anwar Ibrahim and other Harapan leaders. So let them decide on the candidate to contest in the by-election,” he told Bernama here today.

Streram, who was asked whether his name was on the list of candidates for the by-election, said that anyone can be a candidate representing the coalition, and he would accept it with an open mind.

The anaesthetist was Harapan's candidate for the May 9 general election, however he was barred from entering the nomination centre for not having a valid pass.

Incumbent Mohamad Hasan had won the Negeri Sembilan state seat uncontested.

Streram then filed an election petition on May 23, stating that Mohamad Hasan had not won the seat legitimately.

The seat was declared vacant by the Seremban Election Court in November last year when Justice Azimah Omar found that there was no requirement for a candidate to have a pass to enter the nomination centre.

Appeals against the decision filed by Mohamad Hasan and the Election Commission later were dismissed by the Federal Court, paving way for a by-election.

- Bernama

Related Reports