MOE: Harapan approved construction of new school in Semenyih in Oct
The construction of a new primary school in Semenyih, Hulu Langat, is ongoing and slated for completion in October this year, said the Education Ministry.
According to a statement issued from minister Maszlee Malik's office today, the new SK Taman Pelangi was approved by the new Harapan government in October last year and will consist of 24 classrooms, with the project costing a total of RM20.7 million.
“...the execution period will span 106 weeks (two years) starting Oct 22, 2018, and is expected to be completed on Oct 19, 2020.
“This project is due to the long-standing struggle of the Taman Pelangi Residential Association in Semenyih, since 2012.
“It has finally been realised after the Pakatan Harapan government took over and approved the construction of the school in October 2018,” he said.
This announcement comes five days ahead of nomination day for the Semenyih by-election.
The ministry also reiterated that Selangor residents stood to benefit from RM67.58 million in education allocations under the 11th Malaysia Plan (RMK 11).
The four approved projects under the plan are a new secondary school in Bangi named SMK Bukit Mahkota (RM63 million), six new classrooms for special needs students at SMK Bagan Terap in Sabak Bernam (RM3 million), renovation work for two preschool classrooms at SK Kebun Baharu in Tok Panglima Garang (RM1.4 million) and renovation work for one preschool classroom at SJK(T) West Country Timur in Bangi (RM180,000).
“The ministry has ruled that all new RMK 11 projects beginning in 2019 will be undertaken by the Works Department and will undergo an open tender process,” the statement added.