The government has agreed to set up a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to investigate the existence of human trafficking camps and graves in the hilly area of Wang Kelian, which were uncovered three years ago.
Home Minister Muhyiddin Yassin said the names of the RCI members would be handed over to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong for consent.
Muhyiddin, however, did not mention when the list would be submitted nor the names of the RCI members.
“The police had previously carried out investigations and prepared reports on these matters but we decided to set up the RCI to avoid any misunderstanding or prejudice,” he told reporters after attending the Perlis Malay Congress dialogue session in Arau today.
He said the commission would be given six months to probe into the two matters before tabling its report.
In May 2015, police announced the discovery of human trafficking camps and mass graves in Wang Kelian.
Meanwhile, on potential threats posed by the opening of border entry points along the Malaysia-Thailand border for 24 hours a day, Muhyiddin said the security of the people and the country would always be the government’s top priority.
He said the government would see if there was a need to increase the number of personnel at these border entry points which would be open round-the-clock from April 1.
“We want these border entry points to be safe, where people from both countries, especially Malaysia and Thailand, can come and go and trade in an orderly manner,” he said.