Advertise

    US says no timeline for withdrawal from Syria

    (Updated )

    The United States has no timeline for the withdrawal of American troops from Syria but does not plan to stay indefinitely, a senior State Department official said on Friday, sending a strong signal that US forces could stay until the fight against Islamic State militants is over.

    US-backed forces are still retaking territory from IS in Syria, Pentagon officials said on Friday, two weeks after Washington said it would withdraw the roughly 2,000 US troops in Syria. 

    President Donald Trump said at the time that the troops had succeeded in their mission and were no longer needed there.

    The administration’s abrupt announcement last month, which took officials in Washington and allies by surprise, contributed to Jim Mattis’ decision to resign as US defense secretary and prompted concern that IS could stage a comeback.

    The State Department official, briefing reporters before a visit to the Middle East next week by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, apparently sought to allay that concern.

    “We have no timeline for our military forces to withdraw from Syria,” said the official, who asked not to be identified.

    “It will be done in such a way that we and our allies and partners maintain pressure on IS throughout and we do not open up any vacuums for terrorists.”

    The United States did not intend to have an indefinite military presence in Syria, the official added.

    US officials have told Reuters it could take several months to carry out a withdrawal, potentially giving time for US-backed forces to deal parting blows to the militant group that once held broad swathes of territory in Iraq and Syria.

    Trump said on Wednesday that the United States would get out of Syria slowly “over a period of time” and would protect US-backed Kurdish fighters in the country as Washington draws down troops.

    White House national security adviser John Bolton will also travel to Israel and Turkey in the coming days.

    “Bolton will travel to Israel and Turkey to discuss the withdrawal of US forces from Syria, and how the US will work with allies and partners to prevent the resurgence of IS, stand fast with those who fought with us against IS, and counter Iranian malign behavior in the region,” Garrett Marquis, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said.

    Marquis said Bolton would be joined in Turkey by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and US special Syria envoy James Jeffrey.

    Separately, the State Department said Jeffrey would be taking on the additional role of the special envoy for the coalition to defeat Islamic State.

    Jeffrey will be involved in negotiations on a political process and also assumes the diplomatic role of coordinating with allies and partners on the fight against IS.

    Brett McGurk (photo), the previous special envoy for the global coalition to defeat Islamic State, quit last month over Trump’s decision to pull US troops out of Syria.

    'Final blows'

    The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, which include Kurdish fighters, captured the Syrian town of Kashmah on Jan 2 after retaking the town of Hajin on Dec 25, Pentagon spokesperson Navy Commander Sean Robertson told Reuters.

    The day the SDF took Kashmah was the same day that Trump stated during a cabinet meeting his strong desire to gradually withdraw from Syria, calling it a place of “sand and death.”

    Trump also said it was up to other countries to fight Islamic State, including Russia and Iran, and said that Islamic State was down to its last remaining bits of territory in Syria.

    “We’re hitting the hell out of them, the IS people,” Trump said, adding “we’re down to final blows.”

    Separately on Friday, the US-led coalition said it carried out 469 strikes in Syria between Dec 16 and Dec 29 which destroyed nearly 300 fighting positions, more than 150 staging areas, and a number of supply routes, oil lubricant storage facilities and equipment.

    Aaron Stein, the Middle East program director at the Foreign Policy Research Institute, said IS retained control of just a “sprinkle of villages” near the Euphrates river.

    “(IS) will simply revert to a diffused rural insurgency where it could use just the tyranny of space – the desert is very big – to sort of hide out and be able to launch raiding attacks,” Stein said.

    The Pentagon spokesperson said coalition forces, which Washington coordinates, were continuing to assist the SDF with close air support and artillery strikes in the Middle Euphrates River Valley.

    “We will continue to work with the coalition and regional partners toward an enduring defeat of ISIS,” Robertson said.

    He called the capture of Hajin significant.

    “This was a milestone, since it was among the largest of the last remaining ISIS strongholds in the Middle Euphrates River Valley,” he said.

    Islamic State declared its “caliphate” in 2014 after seizing large swathes of Syria and Iraq. The hardline Islamist group established its de facto capital in the Syrian city of Raqqa, using it as a base to plot attacks in Europe.

    Much of the US campaign in Syria has been waged by warplanes flying out of Qatar and other locations in the Middle East.

    - Reuters

    Switch to our desktop view for a better reading experience.

    Switch now No thanks
    OR

    Welcome back,

    Your subscription expires on
      

    Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
      

    Your subscription is expired
      Click here to renew

    You are not subscribed to any subscription package
      Click here to subscribe now

    Any questions?
      Email: [email protected]
      Call: +603-777-00000

    Renew