Lawyers: Home Ministry has final say in giving PR status

Geraldine Tong
(Updated )

The Home Ministry, through the Immigration Department, has full discretion when it comes to issuing permanent resident (PR) status in Malaysia, according to lawyers.

"The permanent residence, in Malaysia we call it an entry permit. It is under the Immigration Act.

"It is the Immigration (Department)'s discretion (to issue PRs)," said lawyer K Shanmuga to Malaysiakini today...

Keep Malaysiakini independent!

Malaysiakini will be 18 this year. That we’ve survived this long is because of you.

Your support matters. A lot. Especially those who pay RM150 annually, RM288 biennially or RM388 triennially to keep Malaysiakini independent from government/opposition influence and corporate interests. Advertising alone will not keep Malaysiakini afloat.

Together, we’ve gone far. We’ve covered three prime ministers, four general elections, five Bersih rallies, and countless scandals. But the journey continues.

Help us deliver news and views that matter to Malaysians. Help us make a difference for Malaysia.

Support Malaysiakini

Related Articles


Sign In