Another FB user nabbed for 'insult to Johor royal'

(Updated )

In yet another case of insult to the royalty, a 25-year-old man was arrested in Kuala Lumpur for allegedly posting insulting comments on Facebook against a member of the Johor royal family.

Johor police arrested the Batu Gajah native in Kuala Lumpur today and will take him to Johor Baru for the remand process, Johor police chief Wan Ahmad Najmuddin Mohd told a press conference. 

"It does not matter if the comment was made against the royal family or anyone else, as long as a police report is lodged, we will investigate," the New Straits Times quoted Wan Ahmad as saying.

The man is being investigated under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

This comes after Penang police arrested a man for allegedly insulting the Johor royalty via Facebook, following information provided by Johor police.

"Johor police advises the public not to misuse online applications to issue statements which hurt, malign, threatened or disturb others, especially the Johor royal institutions," Wan Ahmad said in a statement on the Penang arrest last week.

Last week, former journalist Sidek Kamiso was also arrested in Kuala Lumpur and taken to Johor Baru for remand, for a tweet he allegedly made on recently-deceased PAS spiritual leader Haron Din.

Sidek was released on police bail after the court denied the police's remand application.

On Sept 15, Muhammad Amirul Azwan Mohd Shakri, 19, was sentenced to three years in the Henry Gurney reform school for Facebook postings insulting the Johor royalty.

Former Malacca chief minister Abdul Rahim Thamby Chik was fined RM1,900 after he pleaded guilty to an online comment made against the Selangor crown prince.

Rahim's sentence was the lightest meted out under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.

Separately, Wan Ahmad said further investigations showed that the BMW 525i belonging to Johor Baru Umno vice-chief Yahya Jaafar, which caught fire at his house yesterday, was not due to arson.

Wan Ahmad said the case is still under investigation.


Sign In