Advertise

Who's lying on RMAF report, CNN or Hisham?


(Updated )

MH370 A bombshell was dropped on the grieving families and loved ones of the 239 passengers and crew, Malaysians and the world on the 34th day of MH370’s disappearance .

CNN

reported last night that the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) had scrambled its search aircraft on the morning of the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 737 but did not inform authorities until three days later and the denial by Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein.

Quoting a senior Malaysian government official and another source involved in the investigation, CNN reported  that  “Malaysian air force search aircraft were scrambled around 8am, soon after Malaysia Airlines (MAS) reported that its plane was missing early March 8.”

It reported that aircraft were scrambled before authorities could corroborate data indicating the Boeing 777 turned westwards from its northbound flight path.

The unnamed source stated RMAF had “not informed the Department of Civil Aviation or search and rescue operations until three days later, March 11".

It added that  Flight MH370 disappeared from military radar for some 120 nautical miles after it crossed back over Peninsular Malaysia.

"Based on available data, this means the plane must have dipped in altitude to between 4,000 and 5,000 feet," claimed the senior government official.

Hishammuddin has denied the CNN report, describing it as “a false allegation”.

Who is right, Hishammuddin or CNN?

Unless CNN is prepared to name the “senior Malaysian government official and another source” to substantiate its report, it would be difficult for anyone to accept it as gospel truth.

But the bare denial by Hishammuddin, after the drips and drabs of information being doled out; clarifications, confusions and contradictions; frequent  twists and turns and “flip-flops” and the vast  “black holes” in information in the past 35 days of the MH370 disaster is just not adequate, satisfactory or acceptable.

If  an opposition-headed parliamentary select committee on the MH 370 had been set up before the Dewan Rakyat adjourned yesterday, it would be a proper body to investigate  the veracity or otherwise of the CNN report that Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) had scrambled its search aircraft on the morning of the missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777, but did not inform the authorities until three days later, and come out with a credible and authoritative report to back Hishammuddin’s denial and put all doubts on the matter to rest.

In fact, the Parliamentary Select Committee could not only inquire whether RMAF had scrambled search aircraft that morning but also:

  • Whether or why there was no scrambling of RMAF search aircraft when the military radar tracked MH370 as having diverted from its Kuala Lumpur to Beijing course, when in the first few minutes between 1.40 and 1.45am, at least two RMAF Sukhoi-30s from Gong Kedak could have been scrambled to intercept the jetliner in Kelantan airspace; and,

  • Why a second chance was lost  to intercept the plane when it approached Penang and was picked up on the military radar in Butterworth, although the RMAF with its F/A squadron was on 24-hour standby at the airbase.
  • These and many other  questions have been awaiting answers in the past 35-days of the MH370 disaster, but as I said in Parliament in the presence of the Prime Minister Najib Razak and Hishammuddin on March 25 (18th Day),  I agree that the utmost priority must continue to be given to SAR – search and rescue – operation and the many questions that have arisen about the whole tragedy, including the crisis management, can wait until the discovery of the aircraft and hopefully,  the passengers and crew on board.

    This is now the 35th Day of the MH370 disaster. I have just received reports that a Perth radio station has announced “Unconfirmed report says Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 black box has been found”, and quoting an aviation expert as saying that if these “unconfirmed reports  are firm enough to say we have located the black box, that is enough for them to launch the Bluefin 21 to go down to the bottom and take photographs or scan the bottom with a sonar scanner”.

     

    I hope this is not another false alarm as the families of the 239 passengers and crew are awaiting for a closure.

    However, after 35 days of the MH370 disaster, I believe we have come to a stage where even the families and loved ones of the passengers and crew on board MH370 would want answers to all the thousand-and-one questions that have surfaced about the whole tragedy instead of waiting for a finality and full closure of the tragedy with the discovery of the black box or wreckage, and this process of finding answers to these questions should begin without any delay.

    In these circumstances, the CNN report and Hishammudin’s denial that RMAF had scrambled search aircraft on morning of March 8 had fuelled further doubts about government’s readiness to be fully transparent following the reneging of promises to brief Pakatan Rakyat  MPs and refusal to establish a Parliamentary Select Committee on MH370.

    For these reasons, I would call on the Prime Minister to honour his word that Malaysia has nothing to hide by honouring two broken promises so far – an authoritative briefing to Pakatan Rakyat MPs on the MH370 tragedy and the establishment of an opposition-headed parliamentary select committee on the MH370 tragedy.


    LIM KIT SIANG is DAP parliamentary leader and MP for Gelang Patah.

    Commenting has been disabled for this story.

    Switch to our desktop view for a better reading experience.

    Switch now No thanks
    OR

    Welcome back,

    Your subscription expires on
      

    Your subscription will expire soon, kindly renew before
      

    Your subscription is expired
      Click here to renew

    You are not subscribed to any subscription package
      Click here to subscribe now

    Any questions?
      Email: [email protected]
      Call: +603-777-00000

    Renew